BOTH ROMAN AND VATICAN II VISIONS FOR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
NEED EACH OTHER,
YET POLARIZATION IS CHOKING THE CHURCH.
THIS IS WHY WE NEED A VATICAN II RITE!
Three areas in which Church polarization is most pronounced:
What these areas have in common that could be the source of this destructive polarization:
- Setting continuity and change against each other.
- Defining tradition as a completed event requiring adherence or rejection.
- Pre-Vatican and Post-Vatican II models of God are diametrically opposed.
Three relevant historical events that led up to the issue:
- Modernism condemned as “Synthesis of all Heresies” by Pope St. Pius X in 1907 sets stage for suspicion of the modern world vs Vatican II opening to modern world.CCCC
- Vatican II Bishops REQUIRING liturgical and other changes for sake of continuity created an aura of force against traditional Roman Catholicism.CCCC
- Movement of science from Newtonian understanding of reality as result of unchanging natural laws to quantum understanding of reality as change.
Trends that Exacerbate the Polarization of the Church today:
- Global trends in government toward democracy undermine defensive postures of a church trying to hold on to a monarchical model.
- Open access to information has revolutionized the world taking it into a place where hope can rise again among those kept out of the know and in a place of powerlessness for too long. Social networking has opened up the potential for virtual protest and other gatherings where time and geography would once have prevented such connections.
Sub-issues associated with Church polarization:
- Alienation of women, divorced, remarried & LGBT communities by Roman Catholic Church.
- RC doctrinal and clerical Cognitive Dissonance being exposed by media.
- Shortage of priests, large scale of sexual abuse scandals, widespread closing of schools/parishes.
What makes each issue so prominent and difficult to solve:
- Historically embedded reluctance of Catholic Church to own identity as a human-divine institution rather than as a purely divine institution.
- Due to parallel progressive and ultra-conservative currents of Vatican II documents, support for opposite visions of Church emerged resulting in failure to carry out original mandate of Vatican II to UPDATE Church including DOCTRINE.
- Doctrinally embedded and repeatedly confirmed negative views on women as beings somehow theologically deficient in comparison to males, with the exception of Mary, the Mother of God.
A Vatican II Rite/Church, the most viable option for Church Reform
- Since Catholics cannot reject the council, the only valid option to date is a watered-down version of Vatican II in hope that progressive, moderate and ultra-conservative groups might remain within the ONE Roman Catholic Rite. Church affiliation has only declined since this strategy was initiated.
- In the past few decades, a number of conservative Catholic groups have repeatedly vilified Vatican II as a heretical council. At the same time, the Roman Curia has censored/silenced well over 100 Vatican II proponents including bishops, theologians and others with no recognition of their contributions to the Vatican II vision of Church to this day.
- Pope Benedict and Pope Francis have reached out to these conservative groups. Vatican official Archbishop Pozzo’s recent statement that the difficulties raised by the SSPX concerning religious freedom, ecumenism and dialogue, and liturgical reform remain subject to discussion and clarification but do not constitute an obstacle to a canonical and juridical recognition of the SSPX.
If the Church can move the margins of Catholicism in reverse to suit conservative groups like Opus Dei and SSPX…Can it not likewise move the margins to allow Vatican II Catholicism to carry on the tradition of advancing toward the future?…for Yves Congar, O.P. describes tradition as both conservative AND creative in his book THE MEANING OF TRADITION.
To go back a thousand years in Church history, when polarization existed between the Roman (Western) and Eastern Catholic Churches…
- That polarization was resolved by allowing considerable differences in interpretation/practice of theology, governance, and liturgy between the two branches only for those Eastern Churches that agreed to remain in union with the pope.
- A Vatican II Rite would be likewise DIFFERENT BUT ONE WITH ROME and all the other Catholic Rites…each able to share its wisdom and experience with the other, each able to call the other to faithful proclamation of the Gospel.
FOR ALL THESE REASONS AND MORE, THE CHURCH NEEDS A VATICAN II RITE ALONGSIDE THE 20+ EASTERN RITES IN UNION WITH ROME.