Ah, so Vatican II was just another one of those Church Councils, was it?
Well, no, it was obviously a very dangerous Council because it could have changed today’s Church and World had it not been perceived as a threat to Roman Rite Catholicism.
“Keep Vatican II from rupturing the Church” has been the main concern of post-Vatican II popes. “Spiritualize it…Absorb it into the traditional Church and we will be all the better for it.”
Pope Francis takes a different turn. His strategy is to socialize Vatican II by focusing it on helping the poor and away from doctrinal change which undergirds traditional Roman hierarchical structure.
Is the World better off without the full implementation of Vatican II as a new Catholic Rite with its open vs. closed-system approach to World and Church?
Let’s see…Would we have …
▪ Massive failure of Christian conscience in regard to world response to the global immigrant crisis…a crisis too similar to the global failure of Christian conscience at the time of the Holocaust. Such moral failure, including the introduction of nuclear warfare, were major reasons the Second Vatican Council was convened.
- 2019 Update: Would the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops have been so hyper-focused on abortion that they would make it the “preeminent” determining factor for Catholic voters in 2016 AND 2020? …putting Church, State, and World in serious spiritual, political, economic and environmental jeopardy globally. https://www.ncronline.org/news/people/bishops-meeting-reveals-division-over-how-influence-political-debate
Would we be engaged in the following global/national phenomena today if a Vatican II RITE had been allowed to emerge out of the Council by the 1980’s?
• Significant increase in ethnic and religious wars?
• New rise in rampant racism, anti-Semitism, and xenophobia?
• So many favored national candidates with anti-xyz tyrannical positions?
• First world regression into old self-satisfied nationalism and denominationalism?
• Aggressive controversy in media (including blogs) replacing efforts at genuine dialog?
• Corporate lobbying vs. climate control, bank regulation, and domestic programs?
• 2019 Update: Would the 2019 outgoing bishops’ conference president, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo of Galveston-Houston, called climate change “important” but not “urgent” if Vatican II had been encouraged, even allowed to mature in its relationship to the world?
IS the Church better off for having resisted the movement of Vatican II toward a paradigm shift in theology, governance and liturgy?
Let’s see…would there have been…
▪ Long and strong resistance to accountability for the clergy sex abuse scandal, especially at higher bureaucratic levels?
▪ Conservative/liberal rupture within the Church…with parishes, religious communities and families split asunder…even the Church itself.
▪ Unprecedented and continued loss of practicing and dedicated Catholics from parishes in much of the world…including loss of vocations to priesthood and religious life…including loss of women to ordained ministry.
According to Cardinal Kasper: “We have neither fully implemented the council nor really received the post-conciliar documents; they have remained without consequence. We are at a standstill.” (Cardinal Kasper, ORIGENS, July 2, 2015 (Volume 45, No. 9) “Vatican II: Toward a Multifaceted Unity”)
Has Vatican II been resisted as a Council because it is such a paradigm shift in perspective from Roman [Opus-EWTN Evangelical] Catholicism…so much so that…
…in order to become once again an effective moral influence in the modern world,..We desperately need a Vatican II Rite?
…alongside the 23 other different inter-independent Catholic Rites,
…a Vatican II Rite to stand in sisterly/brotherly union with Rome?
2019 Update: If not a Post-Vatican II Rite, then a Post-Vatican II Prelature…to have some canonical standing and canonical future next to the majority Opus Dei Prelature (now morphed into the Catholic majority EWTN-Evangelical Church). What is a prelature?
Think about it! To Comment: Click on title of article and scroll to bottom of page.
Visit : PICTURE THE POSSIBILITY OF A VATICAN II RITE
Blessings and thanks for reading and thinking about this!
Sisters Lea and Consilia et al
4 thoughts on “No Vatican II Rite! . . . What Loss to World and Church!*”
Reblogged this on CATHOLIC, Non-Roman Western Style and commented:
What do you think here? The world needs your reflection and your input…and so does the Church! SPEAK OUT!
LikeLiked by 1 person