One way we might join the work of transformation of our Church and our country is to see clearly how the present U.S. governing situation resembles the modus operandi of South American dictators trained by the U.S. School of the Americas.
William Cavanaugh has first-hand experience with the Church in Chile during the military dictatorship of General Pinochet’s reign (1973-1990), whose regime he describes as “stoking the fires of confusion and disorder” by:
- “fragmentation and disruption of previous expected order”
- “discrediting people and their assessments of what is happening”
- “creating chaos to simulate the need for order” (order meaning the elimination of dissent)
- “strategic lying and double logic” (both affirming and denying the same point in one statement)
- “the strategic art of abnormalizing…where the people become victims of fear and anxiety.
Any of the above sound familiar? …feel a wee bit familiar?
Of course, nothing like dictatorship could ever happen in the USA?
Quotes above FROM: TORTURE and EUCHARIST by William Cavanaugh.
Chapter 2 from Cavanaugh’s book might have something to teach us all:
“The Church Learns How to be Oppressed.” More on that to come.
* * * * * * * * *
Above is our comment on: National Catholic Reporter “Editorial: Join the work of transformation” ncronline.org/news/justice/editorial-join-work-transformation